Dental Exams & Cleanings in Markham, ON
Whether it is your very first time at our dental clinic in Markham, Ontario, or you’re coming back for one of your two annual dental exams and teeth cleaning near you, our highly trained team is eager to see you. A comprehensive exam is what entails these kinds of appointments as we look for any and all possible abnormalities, any improvements you can make at home, and any possible appointments we’ll have to schedule or the future.
The Dental Exam
When receiving a dental exam in Markham, ON, we could be looking for any of the following:
- Examination of x-rays: This step is essential for detection of decay, tumors, cysts, and bone loss. X-rays also help determine tooth and root positions.
- Oral cancer screening: This exam could potentially save your life if done early enough.
- Gum disease evaluation: Checking of the bones and surrounding gums for signs of gum disease.
- Examination of existing restorations: Checking for the health and integrity of tooth fillings, crowns, etc.
- Examination of tooth decay: Every tooth surface is checked for decay.
Professional Dental Cleanings at 14th Avenue Dentistry
Dental cleanings are usually performed by registered dental hygienists and include the following:
- Removal of tartar: Tartar is hardened plaque that is firmly attached to the surface of the tooth. Tartar forms above and below the gum line and is removed with specialized dental tools.
- Removal of plaque: Plaque is a sticky film that forms on the teeth. Plaque itself is a growing colony of living bacteria, food debris and saliva that can eventually lead to tartar or tooth decay is not cleaned from the surface of the tooth.
- Teeth polishing: Removing stain and plaque that isn’t removed during brushing.
Read more about Dental Cleaning procedure and its benefits.